Weaving with Children at Home : Part 1
Weaving is a very simple craft, that can be done at home, without any special tools! And, children love it! If you have different kinds of yarn, children can play around with the colours and texture and come up with something which is quite unique! However, even if you don’t, a single yarn colour also works and can become quite a meditative experience for the child!
In this blog post, Roopa, shows us a very simple way of creating a weaving board. In the next post, she will show us how to continue and finish the project. Have fun!
Here are list of items needed for weaving at home:
- Balls of Yarn (any colour)
- A pair of Scissors
- Scale or Measuring tape
The following are the steps for making a weaving board:
- The size of the weaving board decides the size of the mat, hence cut the board as per your requirements. Here I have taken a cardboard which is 23 cm by 20 cm.
- Then I make small slits on the shorter side. The length of the slits on both the sides of the board should be the same and the slits should be evenly apart. My slits are 1.5 cm long and 1 cm apart. After marking them, I cut them as shown in the image below:
- Now that I have the empty board with slits ready, I will start with the warp.
- I will start from one end of the board and slide the yarn into the first slit, leaving a little tail yarn behind the board as I will need this yarn to tie later.
- I then bring the yarn to the other one of the board and slide it into the corresponding slit.
- I go around the slit and move to the other end, repeating this process until I reach the last slit.
- Now, I cut the yarn and turn the board around to tie both tail ends firmly.
- Voila! Our weaving boards are ready!